I'll be the first to admit...there are few things I hate more in this world than exercise. Ugh. I work out my most important muscle all the time...my brain! Everything else, I usually use as needed, not for exercise purposes. Hence, today's challenge.
Recently, I started reading my friend Sarah's blog about her weight loss journey and all these amazing life changes she is making to get this done. She inspired me to try swimming as exercise again. Last year, I had started swimming at the Memorial pool, which was near my old house, and I liked the exercise, liked that I never feel sweaty, and I've always liked water. But the pool was always super crowded, and when I saw a little boy LITERALLY pissing in the pool, I gave up going. After reading Sarah's blog, I started heading to the Hawkins pool, and its been a fantastic two weeks. Its always empty, and I am yet to witness any small children doing their dirty in the shallow end.
So today, I headed to the pool as soon as it opened at 5 A.M. It is still dark outside at that time. I was cursing everything; this blog, my impending 30th birthday, lack of sleep, everything under the sun for causing me to be awake at this ungodly hour. But the pool is warm at that time, and after my initial bitching, I realized it was a pretty great way to start the day. I swam for about an hour, and the day went by as normal. I thought I might be tired, but surprisingly, I felt ok. I did want to ingest a small country when I got out of the pool, but that is to be expected, I guess.
When I got home from work, I was tired, and I had reading to do. Some evil voice in my mind was saying...We don't need exercise, part two! Let's not and say we DID! But no...I got my lazy ass up and walked the treadmill. I walked, then I ran, just to get the damn thing over with. This is why I hate stationary machines. They make me feel grouchy. I even feel grouchy just thinking about it! It's like being a hamster on a wheel!
But I did it. It's done. My once-in-a-lifetime two a day :)
Did you know thinking burns calories too? You could have just gone with the swimming =). But good job nonetheless. Thanks for the shout out! You and this blog both inspire me as well!
ReplyDeleteSarah,
ReplyDeleteDear Buddha, you amaze me! Just having the will to workout twice even when you don't want to is monumental in of itself! Keep up all your great efforts, you've got a whole slew of cheerleaders cheering you on! Alwaysd!