Today was my dear friend Krista's day to choose. Krista's & my friendship is remarkable because although we met in 7th grade, we were not truly friends until more than 10 full years later. Having kept up with one another through various ways, it wasn't until the shit hit the fan that we found ourselves true friends. Despite the distance that has always separated us, Krista is one of those people that just "gets" me. No questions, no judgments, just friendship. Several hundred, crazy, incriminating, daily e-mails later, I can scarcely remember what I did or who I called when something important happened to me before we were close. Although we are very much opposite in many ways, she is family to me.
She arranged something super-cool for me that I have never done before. She asked me to take the morning off and meet her friend Jeremy at the Lone Star Golf Course and let him teach me how to swing a golf club. Krista is insanely healthy and athletic; she might be pint-sized, but she could kick my ass…and yours. So when she said golf, I obliged. It was a little nerve-wracking meeting a complete stranger to get this done at 9:00 on a random Wednesday, but there I went.
It’s a gorgeous morning, but after the nasty winds yesterday, it was still a little cold and breezy. I spent time on my “golfing get-up” after Krista gave me explicit directions to “Wear argyle!” Alas, I own zero argyle, and zero knee socks, so I did the best I could. I wore some Capris, a polo shirt, a cardigan and a pair of pearls. You coulda called me “Muffy” for the day. I felt like a character from National Lampoon’s, but I was determined to get it done. I was a little nervous about spending the morning with a stranger, but if he’s Krista’s people, he must be my people too.
Jeremy turned out to be incredibly friendly and very awesome. He showed me some basic technique, like keeping my head down when I swing and how to hold the putter correctly. I actually had an amazing time this playing this old man game! It was fun…and lots more difficult than it looked. By the end of a bucket of balls, I was hitting every ball I attempted. Not far, and not always straight, but I achieved contact.
Great morning! Ready for my Titleist photo shoot!
xoxo~
s



Wow...who is this Krista you speak of!? I'm so glad you loved it! Don't forget to yell FOUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete