Ok, so I'll admit it. I spent about all of 5 minutes taking my pic. It's not THAT beautiful. It's a view of the freeway, near Bassett. The lights and the blur make it an OK pic. I didn't get to spend as much time as I'd have liked to on today's pic, but it does represent this moment in time for me. Things are moving so incredibly fast, and I find myself struggling to hang on. Every week is the same. Life is predictable: Mondays, I study for my Tuesday night class. Tuesday, I go to work, eat dinner at my desk and head to class. I get home, watch some mindless reality TV, and pass out by 10:30. Wednesday I do the same as Monday. Thursday I do the same as Tuesday. Friday, I'll go have drinks with my co-workers after work, then maybe see a movie. Saturday, I go to work all day, then sometimes I'll go out, sometimes I'll lay around, just happy to be at home for once and decompress from the week. Sunday, I try to sleep in till at least 9, spend some time with the loco women, study or hang out with Adriana. Life is predictable, boring, but it is crazy busy. Months pass like moments. Part of the reason I wanted to create this blog is so that I force myself to stop, look up take a moment to do something for myself. Hold myself accountable for something that doesn't have a due date attached to it.
This is my Mama. She will be pissed that I posted this, but this is something beautiful to me. She's so crazy. Every night to me, she makes little comments about something I've written in this blog. She cracks me up and keeps me going.This is a dinosaur (I think) one of the students left on a desk. Its a gum wrapper that they somehow fused to the desk, then they etched out the image of this dinosaur in it. I wanted to be mad, but it was so cute and intricate, I had to laugh. These students are going to be hard to say goodbye to next month. Without fail, every year I meet new students in my classroom, and I fall in love with them. Not in the creepy, Mary Kate Letourneau kind of way, but in a way that even though I get frustrated, and I bitch to no end and I wonder if anything I'm saying is having an impact, at the end of the day, I feel so fortunate just to be able to be a small part of their lives. To watch their transformation is a blessing, and a lesson in compassion and dedication. This is beautiful to me because its simple, and simplicity can be so complex and beautiful all at once.
This is an image that I recently wrote a paper on with my classmate, Lisa. It was made by Yolanda Lopez, and stirred up a bunch of controversy about the Virgen, what she represents, is it ok that she has actual legs, why is she running, why is she stomping on that angel, etc. I really enjoyed writing about this. I'm not Catholic, nor have I ever been, but I've always been interested in this idea of this woman, who shoulders the responsibility of being the mother to the whole of humanity and is adored by so many, but analyzed and examined by all. I guess I can understand how this image could be sacriligeous to some, but the joy on her face is what inspires me. She looks free. Is it relief of escape? Is she victorious over the snake? Is she stomping on the angel because he isn't what he seems? The analysis is endless; in my mind she is a celebration of femininity, struggle and perserverance. This is beautiful to me today because she looks strong, happy and on the brink of something amazing.
;-)




No comments:
Post a Comment