Wednesday, March 30, 2011
Guerilla Randomiocity.
Fantastic day today.
It is quite possible I smiled so much today I made my face crack.
I really liked the idea of running around furtively and planting little surprises around for people. The first of my actions was to plant Post-It notes around my work building with little notes on them. Stupid stuff; simple stuff. I read an internet article several years ago about this group of women who did the same thing. They'd leave inspirational little notes in public restrooms, on the city bus, in places strangers would find them in hopes of just brightening someones day. Maybe its kinda cheesy, but as my sister-friend Cristina-Maria says, as we get older we have to learn how to embrace the cheese. I don't and will never know who got to see my notes, but, I hope it inspired a smile, even if it was a sarcastic one.I only did a few, but I always wanted to try it.
Next, I took a student to lunch. Rafael, who is incredibly polite and soft-spoken, was hanging out alone outside our work building during lunch. I asked him if he had lunch, and he said no, so I treated him to some chinese food. He had been absent quite a bit in the last few weeks, and having lunch, we had a long conversation on life and the different challenges it poses. I tried to be a good listener and give him worthwhile advice.
On my way home, I stopped at Subway and bought a couple of footlongs and took them to every homeless person I could find between Wyoming and Airway. Some were grateful, some looked at me questioningly, and others just said thank you. None looked disappointed that it wasn't booze!
All in all, it was a great day. I felt a lightness in my step I hadn't felt in awhile.
Tomorrow, I write a thank you letter. I love letter writing. It's a dying act. I still haven't decided who needs thanking the most, but I am going to send it in the mail, old-fashioned style. The hardest part is choosing who needs the most thanking at this point. I'm so lucky to have so many awesome people in my life right now.
Until then, a wink and a :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment